Świdnica cooperates with several towns and regions in Germany, the UK, Czech Republic, Hungary, Ukraine and Lithuania.
Biberach an der Riss (Germany) – the partner agreement between Biberach (with 30 thousand citizens) and Świdnica was concluded in 1990. It was the first agreement which joined the Town with a foreign partner. From the very beginning of the cooperation, broad contacts were developed - not only formal, but informal as well - between partner associations, the youth and kids, scouts and firefighters. The cooperation is being carried on until today. Biberach an der Riss is located in the south of Upper Swabia region of the German state of Baden-Wurttenberg. The first mentions on it come from 1083 when the town was under the reign of Staufs. In the 13th century it was granted the rights of the free town of the Reich. In the second half of the 14th century it had developed economically: craft and trade thrived, with fustian trade in particular (fustian was woven in the weavers’ district maintained until nowadays, which is located at the foot of Weberberg). The Thirty Years’ War and Black Death plague decimated the population. Not until the 18th century the town begun to redevelop. Thanks to the development of new sectors of industry (tanning), as well as thanks to the wealth of local monasteries, Biberach is nowadays a town that is attractive and wealthy in tradition. The pleasant atmosphere in the town is created by mixing the old architecture with the contemporary commercial life.
Webpage address: www.biberach-riss.de
Police nad Metuji (Czech Republic) - Świdnica signed a letter of intent with the Czech town in 1994, concurrently expressing its will to establish the partnership cooperation in fields of culture, education, science, sport and economy. The cooperation is being carried on until today. Police nad Metuji has a wealthy history. The town was founded in 1213, and the civic rights were granted in 1253. In Police and its surrounding areas there are numerous historic monuments, including a historic town hall, Benedictine Gothic monastery, churches from the 17th and 18th century.
Webpage address: www.meu-police.cz, www.policenadmetuji.cz
Trutnov (Czech Republic) – a town located in the Karkonosze Mountains with a population of 32 thousand citizens. The cooperation agreement was signed in 1998 and it covers: culture, education, science, tourism and economy. The first mentions of the town come from 1260 when the first Slavic settlement referred to as Upa was formed there (it was subsequently renamed and is now referred to as Nowy Trutnov). The civic rights were granted in 1360. There are numerous monuments in the town, including 11-metre monument of the Holiest Trinity erected in 1704, Baroque church Nar and enchanting marketplace.
Webpage address: www.trutnov.cz
Kazincbarcika (Hungary) – industrial town with a population of 38 thousand citizens.The agreement on cultural and economic cooperation was signed in March 1999. It was initiated by the assistance of the Hungarians during the centennial flood in 1997. Świdnica received broadly comprehended material assistance from Hungarian partner, among others in the form of chemical agents intended to disinfect flooded wells.
Kazincbarcika is located in Borsod-Abauj-Zemplen region, in the north-east part of Hungary by Sajo River. It was founded in 1949 on the basis of three villages which were connected with the building of a huge chemical complex BORSOD, which deals with the processing of brown coal.
Webpage address: www.kazincbarcika.hu
Tendring District (the UK) - a population of 135 thousand citizens. The cooperation agreement was signed in August 1999 in the UK and in May 2000 it was signed in Świdnica on the occasion of the 750th anniversary of the town. The cooperation covers the following fields: culture, education, sport and economy. In 2001 in Świdnica there were initiated Autumn Friends’ Meetings in which the families from partner towns participated. Tendring District is located in the north-east part of Essex County. In its borderline there can be found prosperous international seaport Harwich (the area of the seaside covering well-known resorts such as Clacton, Frinton and Walton, as well as the wealth of historical buildings). Clacton-on-Sea – the seat of Tendring District council is a traditional sea resort.
Webpage address: www.tendringdc.gov.uk
Nizyn (Ukraine – Czernihiv District) – the partnership agreement was signed on the 10th of December 2001 in Świdnica and covered the following fields: culture and art, education, science, sport, tourism and economy. Self-governments of the towns presented above initiated meetings of Polish and Ukrainian Entrepreneurs simultaneously obtaining financial aid from the Polish-American-Ukrainian Cooperation Initiative. Nizyn belongs to the oldest towns in Ukraine. Since 1147 it has been known as Uneniez. Its name has functioned since 1314 and the town is considered to be a pearl in the so-called “Dnieper Necklace” – tourist route of the well-known historical towns of Ukraine. The town's population is 79,9 thousand citizens.
Webpage address: http://nizhyn.osp-ua.info
Święciany Region (Lithuania) – the subject of the agreement concluded in May 2002 was the cooperation in the scope of joint acquisition of financial aid from the European Union, exchange of experiences and information, economy, education, culture, sport, health and social care as well as ecology.
The Święciany Region is located in the north-east part of Lithuania. It is wealthy in forests, lakes and unpolluted nature. Its capital is Święciany which is located 86 km from Vilnius. The region's population is 37 thousand citizens including 28,8% of Poles.
Webpage address: www.svencionys.lt
Iwano-Frankowsk (Ukraine) – signing the partnership agreement between Świdnica and Iwano-Frankowsk took place on September 19th 2008 (after three years of informal contacts) during the 15th anniversary of the cooperation between Towns Partnership Associations of Świdnica and Biberach. The cooperation is developing particularly well in the following fields: culture, education, and sport as well as youth exchange. The name of the town comes from the name of a remarkable Ukrainian writer Iwan Franko. The town was named so in the 60s of the 20th century; previously there functioned names Stanisław and Stanisławów. If the residents did not agree for such a change the town would have been renamed to Stalińsk Podkarpacki. Tourist guides are convinced that in the event of the implementation of the second option, nowadays the town would return to Stanisławów, as the citizens like it very much and are very proud of it. The name Stanisławów can be found in companies’ logos, for instance taxi corporations, radio-TV companies. The older citizens say that they live in Stanisławów whereas the younger in Frankowsk – the full name is too long to be pronounced easily. Iwano-Frankowsk is located at the foot of the Karpaty Mountains. It is an outing base for the skiers. The provincial town in west Ukraine with a population of 204,2 thousand citizens (2004), civic rights from 1662. Numerous holiday resorts are located 60, 70 km from the town.
Webpage address: www.mvk.if.ua